Story of *the quilt*

 
 
If you have been following me you must know by now that I enjoy doing art quilts. Let me tell you the story and technique of my latest *utility* quilt. It took me double the normal effort to fabricate it. Add on the piecing and it took even longer!

I made this quilt for a very special person. The only thing that she wanted on the quilt was the presence of bright  colors. And since I love lettering of course I had to include a personal message.

I wanted to do a no pattern quilt.
 
I got his book more than 10 years ago and I've used it only once ever since. The author makes the lettering based on strips, narrow and wide. No letter is the same. Hmmm, I like that approach.

I started by dyeing pieces of fabric, all the color of the rainbow and a grey fabric for the background.
 
I did not like the very first word I made. I don't know why. Could it have been the blue letters? I took the word and hanged it on my design wall. Then I realized it was the grey fabric. Yes, it's a neutral color but this grey felt unappealing...

So....
 
I went to my garage/wet studio and ice dyed fabric. Then I cut some of this fabric in strips and silkscreened designs with opaque paint. Afterwards I started piecing the colorful letters and my enjoyment grew in the process...

Half way through I ran out of fabric but since I dyed my own, I knew exactly which colors to use. To tell you the truth I didn't even know how big it was going to be.

I combined the lettering with hearts and kisses.




And here are some details combining the silk screened designs:



In some areas I sew simple lines with 12w cotton thread.




The backing fabric it's also an iced dyed fabric combined with leftovers fabrics. I like the back as much as the front so I called it a two sided quilt!



 
I am standing beside the finished quilt. The special person absolutely  loved it. The surprise on her face was priceless and I will keep that happy memory in my heart!

I am linked to : ninamariesayre.blogspot.com Go and visit the work of other artists and get inspired!

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift!!!! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous quilt and the lighter gray background was a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. Yes, the lighter background make the letters pop :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...