*BLOOM* - The story behind it


*BLOOM* 37 inches by 37 1/2 inches... a whole cloth quilt

It all began when I read the news about a group of teachers getting together to help spark a labor movement leading for an increase in salary. With a background in teaching and early childhood education, I can’t help but sympathize with them since this is a problem that exists globally.
I started by cutting out newspaper articles about this topic. Then the newspaper pieces were infused into the cloth using my -INC- method. 

Allow me to explain the steps involved:
Fig.1: I started by mixing the paint to match Aurifil LANA thread



Fig.2: For my color palette, I decided to eliminate the yellow-ochre and replace it by a lighter shade of gray
The color palette was chosen based on the thread I wanted to use and mixed the paint to match!


Fig.3: Next, seamlessly infused newsprint cloth -INC- was combined with painted areas to complete the flower designs



Figs.4 + 5: Then I applied the HUG stitch around the ovals and simple running stitches around the petals.


Fig. 6: Lastly, the three layers were sewn together by machine. Free motion quilting with the HandiQuilter Sweet Sixteen and the Glide Foot
  
 The letters   were  printed from a computer program and cut around to form a template. Then an erasable marker was used to draw the letters on the cloth before the machine stitching. 
Word BLOOM at the very bottom of the quilt, looks like trapunto but it is not.

STATEMENT:The upper small flowers represent the students. The ovals are the influences, guidance, and support we receive from the teachers who impact us in our early years. The big flowers represent the students who grow and begin to establish themselves as they prepare to take the next step in life. They bloom. (The word “bloom” is included towards the bottom of the quilt but only noticeable when the light hits or when you approach to have a closer look).



6 comments:

  1. I am very intrigued, but I need a video to truly get this method in my head. Do you have one, or know of any? I love original works and this technique is something I would like to try.
    Love what you are doing.
    Happy quilting!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I do not have a video made about this technique but is something I am considering. Thank you for your kind words :)

      Delete
  2. Histoire et narration parfaite, très beau quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Marianne. This story is very close to my heart!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...