*Paper and Fabric Quilt* for Quilt Alliance Contest Entry 2014

*Country Home*
16" by 16" paper and fabric quilt
This is my donation quilt for the Quilt Alliance Contest "Inspired by" 2014
 
 
This year's rule was to create a small quilt based on the Alliance's quilt index. The index is composed by a variety of quilts that span from traditional to modern, and it allowed me to be inspired by a quilt named *Christmas Eve in the City* by Kathy Jolman (you can see the quilt here.).
 
To make it more challenging I decided to use the charm pack of rainbow fabrics they sent me last year by enrolling in the program "Quilter's Take Manhattan". I watched the program from home since I was not able to travel.
I decided to iron the 2" squares on wonder under -paper backed fusible interfacing- and grouped them by color family.
With the help of the machine Accuquilt Go I cut out small circles. Then with a manual puncher I cut out tiny circles, form flowers and tree canopy shaped (green color family).
Afterwards, I infused newsprint on silk based on my own technique where the end result is a pliable and washable fabric easy to sew. Then, I ironed the tree and flowers in place, leaving an empty space where I drew and sew the cat and bird.
I chose Aurifil 50w thread for the background and Aurifil 28w for the cat and bird.
After finishing the free motion quilting, I hand embroidered the lower part and sewed beads on the tree canopy.

Detail of the infused and trapunto newsprint house.
 
I hope you will join me and participate in this contest. You can read more about it here. You still have plenty of time since the deadline is June 1st.



12 comments:

  1. Love your whimsical style of designing and embellishing quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! What Accuquilt Go die did you use that gave you the great little circles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the die number 55151, they are 3/4" multiples. Thank you Denise:)

      Delete
  3. This is sweet! I love all the textures, especially the foreground. Do you mind telling me what kind of machine you use? I've tried out a couple and wasn't happy with the free motion quilting. The Pfaff didn't want to accommodate the different thread weights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly. I used a Bernina 350 for this quilt, it accepts all kind of threads. Have you try *Aurifil 12W and 28W* in your Pfaff? The quality of the thread is very important. Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions:)

      Delete
  4. A wonderful blend of so many unusual ideas and techniques, Margarita! And it is absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele for your sweet comment.

      Delete
  5. Your work is fascinating, and lovely. I especially like the flowers in this quilt (and the kitty--big cat lover here.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...