*TRAPUNTO* with Thick Threads


As I promised I will show you how I did this small quilt. To warm up follow the exercises explained in the previous post HERE and adjust the tension in your sewing machine if necessary.
Draw a house shape on a piece of paper and use it as a template. Iron fusible webbing on the back of a colored fabric and trace and cut the house. Iron to a piece of solid color fabric. In this case, I used white fabric.
Following the first step of my TRAPUNTO technique published in Quilting Arts magazine Dec13/Jan14, prepare the first layer. Choose your thread, in this case I chose 12w Aurifil in a monochromatic color.
For the focal point I chose a combination of my *practice designs* and changed the color thread to add interest. I did not draw the shapes on my final piece only a straight line on the roof where I wrote with dark brown 12w thread the words "my house".
After finishing sewing the design by machine, I decided where to place my *toppings* (that's what I called the hand-embroidery or beading details). In this case, I decided to use only thread, so with the same 12w thread I started to do hand embroidery.
Following the instructions of the article, prepare the  final layers.
Load your sewing machine with 28w thread on top and stitch the background. I chose a variegated color to give the viewer a surprise element once they get closer to the quilt. Finished the border with a zigzag stitch.
I hope you will try this technique adding texture to your work with trapunto combined with thick 12w and 28w thread.

10 comments:

  1. I love your flower embroidery! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! My machine is not fond of heavy threads; what's in the bobbin would make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Margaret, some machines likes thick threads and some not so much. I worked with my *Bernina* and *Handiquilter Sweet Sixteen* and always use 40 weight in the bobbin.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! You've inspired me! I'm going to have try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele, your threads are already in the mail, you should get them any day this week :) ....then you can try them. Let me know if you have any questions.

      Delete
  4. I am very impressed with your work. I love doing free-hand as well as machine embroidery by design. You have a truly remarkable talent :)
    Your newest follower and blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie for your sweet comments :) and welcome to my site!

      Delete
  5. Me encantó, realmente bello. Cuanta cretividad, siempre me inspiras

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias mi querida amiga por tan lindo comentario :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...