DIY Tablemats

I've decided to create *new* tablemats. I want them bright and cheerful to let my guests feel welcome at my table. Since I'm in a new city, more certainly I will invite *new* friends; so why not write messages to break the ice and start a conversation?

With the help of my thermofax machine and a computer program, I designed three screens: one with lettering and the other two with wild flowers. I started printing the lettering for the background with pale colors...
and noticed that I could hardly read them, especially after a glass of wine! Mmm that has to be corrected so...
 
I decided to use darker colors. I had to be very careful in making them dark enough so I could read the words but make them light enough so they would not compete with the intensity of the color of the flowers.
Once finished with the printing, I ironed each panel to fusible fleece (Pellon 987F) and backing fabric.

Now it was time for *the toppings* (that's what I called the decorative stitching layer). You know how much I like texture, especially texture with thick threads, it is my favorite part but because these tablemats should lay flat, really flat, I chose thin 50w White Aurifil thread
and started sewing around the flowers. Once I was done, I decided to finish the edges with a zigzag stitch. I loaded my Janome machine with 40w thread, chose -stitch 10-, installed the -foot C- and sew around.

TIP: It's a good idea to round the corners to improve handling of the tablemats during sewing. That way you end up with smoother corners.
I am happy with the results and ready to invite *new friends* to my table and celebrate!

28 comments:

  1. Theses are very pretty. I love the colors and the simple flower designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty indeed, Marga -- and thanks for stopping by my blog to see what I was stitching too. Here's to texture! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. We both share the same *love*= texture!

      Delete
  3. Margarita, your table mat/placemats are stunning and delightful. All together would make a brilliant present! Your wonderful work ethic is so good too! Julie Beard

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these place mats! So bright colors and beautiful design. I am sure you make friends with your place mats! It is a bit to far for me, but I would love to dinner with your stunning place mats!
    Love from Amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maartje. I would love to have you over for dinner :)

      Delete
  5. Margarita, these are so neat!!! Man, now I have to look into getting a thermomax machine. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynn. You would LOVE a thermofax machine.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work. Thermomax looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carla. Yes, thermofax is fun and addictive:) (in a good way)

      Delete
  7. These are absolutely gorgeous! you are very creative, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a fantastic job. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried thermofax but after seeing these beauties, I'm so ready to try. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. Thermofax silk-screening is fun and *addictive* (in a good way)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...