The quilt started with a painted background. I applied 4 layers of paint before stenciling the focal point and wrote with hand-calligraphy the message *embrace change* and appliqued paper.
After the base was finished I started to make decisions on how to apply the *toppings*, that is what I call the upper layer-texture with thread. I used a combination of 12w and 40w Aurifil thread.
First, I loaded my sewing machine with 12w Aurifil thread and started sewing the flowers, when finished I sewed details with the same thread, by hand.
I sewed the sun with thick 12w yellow thread and beaded following the sewing lines.
I sewed around each letter.
I changed the top thread for a 40w Aurifil thread and sewed the background with a simple loop design.
This quilt is hanging in my living room where I can always see it and reading its message helps me with the process to embrace this new city--my new city.