I'm Not a *Pink* Flamingo

This small quilt is the outcome of playing around with my latest stencil and leftover fabrics from other projects.

Let me show you how I did it:
Paint muslin fabric with the help of a stencil.  -Who said all flamingos are pink?- Then lay  a fluffy high loft polyester batting underneath the muslin.
Cut small circles from fabric that has been ironed with steam a seam interfacing on the back, placed them on top of the flamingo and ironed in place.
With thin #50 sew fine thread and in a free motion setting in my sewing machine I sewed carefully all around the flamingo shape and the circles. When finished, I cut the excess batting from the back. 

With thick aurifil #12 cotton thread, embroider around each circle then sew delica seed beads at the end of each flower petal.
Choose a paper laminated fabric for the bottom and a translucent fabric with mistyfuse for the sun.

Sandwich the top with cotton batting and a back fabric.

Load the machine with glide thread in the needle and bobbin and start to sew/draw with plumes and meandering stitches to fill the whole quilt.

32 comments:

  1. I love it, too, and I'm not a flamingo person. Great techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! And thank you very much for the littke "tutorial".

    lg Katharina

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! Love this little piece, Marga, and I confess, you do trapunto far more simply than I have in my experience. Must simplify my process next time I need to do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Margaret. I love trapunto with this kind of batting and especially because it hides all the knots from my embroidery threads and beading!

      Delete
  4. Love your flamingo! I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "Then lay the fabric UNDERNEATH a fluffy polyester high-loft batting." Would you mind explaining?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, thank you for noticing the error, I already corrected it :)what I mean is to place the fluffly high-loft polyester batting underneath the muslin, then sew with thin thread all around the shape, in this case the flamingo and then go ahead and cut the extra batting.
      Thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Lovely! I love doing trapunto too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marsha. Yes, trapunto add *extra* texture to the quuilt :-)

      Delete
  6. I love this piece...it's so much fun but yet your workmanship is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robbie for your nice comments.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work. Great explanation and terrific photos! Thanks so much for sharing this.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun yet beautiful piece. I love how you embellished the flamingo. Thank you for taking the time to show the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the polka dots on the flamingo. So creative and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always fun to see what you are up to. That is such a cheerful flamingo. Thank you for sharing the stages that helped the flamingo evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this post. the "I', not a pink flamingo" make me smile today although I'm very sad, because one of our cat died yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for your loss Rike. I'm glad my work makes you happy.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing your technique! I love how you used trapunto to add dimension to the flamingo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your birds. This one especially with the dots and hand stitching around them. Super!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne. Yes,I love to combine hand stitching with machine stitching :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...