Transparent Design

 
"Crimson Bird"
My goal was to paint a transparent design over a busy background.
I started painting a cotton fabric with acrylic paint. I used the small bottles of acrylic paint that you can find in hobby shops. When you use this kind of paint on fabric it can leave a thick layer, making it difficult to sew so you must be careful to put just enough paint.
Took out stencils, in this case stencils I designed and cut and colored with paintsticks. I sandwiched it with batting and a backing fabric. 
Load the sewing machine with Aurifil 12 weight and sew around the bird and plant. I could have left the piece like this but you know how much I like to combine different kinds of threads in the same piece. The texture that is achieved with the combination of different thicknesses of threads makes the piece sing.

I wanted to choose a thread that gives texture but not distraction since the background is colorful enough so I used Invisaline thread on the top and Sew Fine thread in the bobbin. I used an easy stitch design and sewed the whole background slowly. For the finishing touches, I added some beading for the center of the flowers and a french knot for the bird's eye.
Detail 


20 comments:

  1. I really like the transparent effect of all the layers. And the final step of the close quilting really helps the bird stand out. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly, it was fun making this piece.

      Delete
  2. Hi Margarita,
    Another beautiful piece by you! Love how you did the transparent design and your machine stitching is ALWAYS amazing!
    Hugs,

    I just added some New things to my blog if you would like to see them and please leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YIKES, Marga....it is gorgeous!!!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The painting and quilting projects are very nice. I read a couple of your earlier posts too. I like the series you are working up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific piece......you certainly achieved wonderful effects both back and foregrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! Thank you for explaining the steps you took and WHY. That is so helpful for someone trying to improve their design skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I like the effect you ended up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are opening my eyes to new ideas with your beautiful work. I love your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad that my work may help you get inspired.

      Delete
  9. Very cool--the beautiful background and gorgeous stitching really make the bird stand out.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...