Hand Calligraphy with Stencil on Fabric

I wanted to practice hand calligraphy mixed with my own stencil in the same piece.
I started painting a cotton fabric with acrylic paint. I used the small bottles of acrylic paint that you can find in hobby shops. When you use this kind of paint on fabric it can leave a thick layer, making it difficult to sew so you must be careful to put just enough paint.
Next, I drew the word *florero* and painted it with FW acrylic purple ink. When it dried, I took out the stencil I designed and cut and colored with paintsticks.

I hung the small panel and noticed that the word was competing with the vase and flowers. That was not what I was looking for so took the ink out again and painted on top of the letters, but this time with a lighter color.



The edited piece looked like this:

I sandwiched it with batting and a backing fabric. I loaded the sewing machine with Aurifil 12 weight and sewed around the vase, flowers and the word.

Because I love to combine different kind of threads in the same piece, I then changed to a thinner Invisaline thread and stitched the whole background with an easy quilting design.

For the finishing touches I added french knots around each flower.

21 comments:

  1. Very nice! P.S. If you add a bit of Textile Medium to your acrylic paint, it will make it easier to needle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip dear Margaret, I will do that next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing. I love the french knots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoy mixing hand sitching with machine quilting in the same piece.

      Delete
  4. Did you paint the word on before or after the stencil?
    It looks like the vase was first. Or were you really careful? I love it!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I painted the word first with purple ink *before* the stencil; then after I painted the stencil I came back and painted again over the word but with a lighter color.

      Delete
  5. Very lovely. You have beautiful handwriting. Is that a special kind of brush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I used an *acrylic* brush size 3 round.

      Delete
  6. Spectacular, Wow and more amazingly WOW, Margarita. This is your best work to date. I absolutely love it! Julie Beard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear Julie for your kind words.

      Delete
  7. Wow, ok, love your piece. And that FMQ really makes it sing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stenciling and freemotion quilting are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello - don't you just love blog land. You meander around and find lovely stuff!

    Really like your technique and the results you get. Stunning quilts and thanks for sharing the technique. Certainly one to try some time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is simply stunning. I love the different techniques you used to make it really quite beautiful. I think you were absolutely right to tone down the lettering. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good choice with lightening the letters. Very nice piece!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...