Easy Way to Print Cloth

"Florida Sunrise"
This is another quilt that I've made with the method I explained on page 75 in the latest magazine Crafts'n Things Summer 2013
Instead of a house, I made two flowers for the plate design and used the same bird from the original pattern. I used it as a guide to cut from scrap pieces of fabric fused with wonder under. 
 Next, I sewed them together with a curve seam.
Then I sewed four pieces of fabric around, also with a curve seam.
I ironed on the birds in place. Sandwiched the quilt with batting and a back fabric. Drew "extra" flowers in between the blocks and outside the blocks on each side. Chose a thin 50 weight thread to sew inside the blocks and a thick 12 weight to sew around the outside. I chose a quilting design from Leah www.thefreemotionquiltproject.
Afterwards I sewed beads for the center of the flowers....
..and french knots for the birds eyes.



30 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Terri and it is so easy to print the blocks!

      Delete
  2. Isis this the collograph method that you also showed in quilting arts? It's on my to do list! This piece is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly. This is another method of print making using different materials to form your plates.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty! We have that magazine in our library, so I'll be sure to look for that issue soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear Margaret. Let me know if you have any questions.

      Delete
    2. No questions, Marga, but to answer one of yours: the batting I am currently using is an 80/20 cotton/polyester. Recommended to me by a friend who uses it, it's a bit loftier than my perennial favourite, "Warm 'n' Natural", but I am liking it very much. Sorry, can't remember the brand, as I bought it off the bolt!

      Delete
  4. Lovely piece. The uneven border with changing colors is especially pleasing to the eye. Of course, the stitching is perfection. Enjoyed visiting your blog and looking back over old pasts.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for explaining how you did this lovely piece. Will have to see whether I can find that magazine in my corner of the world ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they also sell an e magazine to download :)

      Delete
  6. I really like this piece. I shall look at the link you have shared too. I'm fascinated with surface design and really want to give various methods a try - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love *Blogworld*, you visit sites from different artists whith unique ideas:)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work! :D Stay creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting technique! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a interesting technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And an easy one Julianne. You don't need special materials.

      Delete
  10. Mmmm....I like it! Found you from Leah's link up. Think I'll nose around a bit. Sure looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your quilts, really stunning work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the look of this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fantastic! Absolutely love the effect you achieved .....actually love everything about it!
    Thanks for stopping by my site and the great comment....yes I am quite delighted!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...