Make your own Stencil/ Free Motion Quilting Practice

"Armadillos"
This is the end result of a series of NEW techniques for me. If you have read my previous posts you will know that I been making my own stencils in a Cameo machine. In the earlier project I modified one of their designs but now I've figured out how to do stencils from my own drawings. What a joy. 
I did a set of two: one for the main body and the other for the details. Used paint sticks over a silk-screened fabric. (do not pay attention on the lettering since the words has nothing to do with the armadillos (It is a leftover piece from another project that I wanted to use...ahem to make room for more fabric!!?).
Just bought a new sewing machine (Janome 7700), since my old one is behaving badly. It is a first for me to sew with this brand and I LOVE it! It accepts any weight thread without sacrificing the quality of stitch. Browsing the web, looking for tips on how to work with the Janome found a great site http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com   where Leah, the quilter in charge, teaches different quilting designs. I watched some of her videos and decided to practice two of them in this small quilt. 
This piece was hung beside a window where the sun was shining to show off the texture that creates this quilting design. Again, I used two kinds of batting: cotton and a split wool on top, 50 weight thread for the top half of the quilt and variegated 30 weight for the bottom half. I'm pleased with the end result.

36 comments:

  1. Cute critters, Marga, and your FMQ is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrific! Lovin' the armadillos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a member of the Surface Design yahoo group, I found your post and came to see your blog, I love it. I like all your creations, I'm a new follower here.
    I think I'll come visit often, I'll give you the link to my blog if you have interest in visiting:
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/
    Your creations are exceptional, really inspiring, thanks for sharing your talent with us!!!

    Marisa from
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job. Love the FMQ designs you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it Shawn, althought I have to warn you...it's addictive :)

      Delete
  6. We've recently been making stencils and silk screens with the Silhouette cameo and I love it! I also have a long history with Armadillos so when I saw your post I had to click through. Your quilt is so cute! And the quilting gives it such wonderful texture. Love the patterns you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon. I have this machine for almost two months and love it. I think it is the only one in the market that let's you work with your *own* designs.

      Delete
  7. Just came over from Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday and love your work. Will be coming back to read more at leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just came over from Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday and love your work. Will be coming back to read your blog at leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here I was wondering how to use Leah's Flying Geese pattern. I love how it looks like vegetation in your quilt. Your work makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gwyned. I'm glad I found Leah's site, as soon as I saw her flying geese pattern I knew I had to use it in this quilt.

      Delete
  10. Lovely quilting - love your quilt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to Leah's world. She is a wonderful teacher. I too found her after purchising a 7700. Your quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.I agree with you , she is a wonderful teacher.

      Delete
  12. Awesome! I've been making stencils with my Silhouette Portrait too! I love this! What kind of plastic did you use? Do you have the upgraded software for your Silhouette or the software that came with it. I'm wanting to upgrade but want to talk to someone else who has it first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      I upgraded the software and find it easier to use. The material I use to make the stencils is Dura-lar .005 matte film. It is a wonderful material since you can wash it and re-use it several times.

      Delete
  13. Your FMQ really adds so much to your fun armadillos. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely! I'd love to hear more about the Silhouette....I keep on thinking about the cutters...but I'm not sure how to make a choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I would work more with this machine in my next posts.

      Delete
  15. I love the armadillos! Found your blog through Off the Wall Fridays and now I'm adding it to my reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy. I hope you can find some inspiration through my work.

      Delete
  16. I love it! I also love how you used the flying geese. Wonderful texture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, they are too cute! Your FMQing looks great, and really adds to the background. I like the way you have incorporated the flying geese design.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...