Collagraph with Make your Own Stencil

This is another quilt that I have made featuring my collagraph prints. This time I made two plates, one for the focal point in the center of the block and the other for the strips of fabric to be sewn around.
After the prints had been made, I realized there was an "empty" space on one corner of the center block. I was planning on doing a computer transfer with messages of love but then I decided to put a print with the help of a stencil.
It's so liberating to make your own! You can make one that complements your work. It could be the final touch that completes your composition.
So, I put my "Silhoutte Cameo" machine to work. Loaded it with Dura-lar .005 matte film,
 decided on the design and size, and let the machine cut away!
Did some beading in the heart. 
Sew with thin thread over the collagraphs, to keep the delicate characteristic of these kind of prints and #12 cotton thread on the borders. 
Love how the stencil added pizzaz to the composition, making the quilt sing!

20 comments:

  1. Wow! what a pretty composition! You really finished it off beautifully. The echo quilting around the circles really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh i love this stenciling and stitching of this! I host a link party "Off the Wall Fridays" and would like to invite you to join us anytime you have a project going that you want to share. We find it inspiring, motivational and educational.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collagraphy, perhaps, but I'm lovin' the trapunto! Those wee birds are so very charming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret...you should try collagraphy, instant gratification :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful stitching/quilting and lovely design. I like your use of paint.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought a Silhouette Portrait this month and have been searching my house for the transparency film I have somewhere to see if the portrait could cut some stencils for me. Glad to know it works so well on the Dura-lar! Beautiful, beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, you will love your silhoutte machine :)

      Delete
  6. I love the stitching, it really sets off the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your processes. They are so lovely. Can't wait to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you have any questions Marit.

      Delete
  8. These textured pieces are sooooooo wonderful and unique! Thanks for sharing your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, sure like your work but typical dummie here. Have never heard of the machine you used to make your stencil. Can you point me in the right direction please so I can read more about it? Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ruth, you can read more about this machine at
      www.silhouetteamerica.com It is a very versatil machine.You can cut a wide variety of materials with it.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful, and your dense quilting really sets off the motifs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...